Wholewheat Jewish Apple Cake

There is one thing with cooking - how much ever you try, there is still a vast ocean in front of you to keep trying! Each cuisine, each country, each border, each ingredient can be made in such a vast variety that you get lost how to go about it. When I browse through other bloggers, I sometimes get so hyper thinking, why haven't I made this and then immediately remind myself that there are lots on my blog which other bloggers haven't tried. That is how cooking is - everyday you learn something new, you discover something new, you mess up and maybe discover something better!

One of it was cooking with apples. I love baking with bananas but apples were never on my radar till I read how lovely they taste in cakes. This is the first cake I baked with them and I literally fell in love with it. I actually baked it to give it to umma's relative, so we just got a taster. Umma wanted me to bake it for ourselves before they left, alas, I couldn't repeat baking it. Yes, definitely one of my regrets, one of the other which was this cake. InShaAllah, when she comes down on visit sometime later, I should bake this again. Till then, off to the recipe...

Wholewheat Jewish Apple Cake
Makes one small bundt
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

1 cup wholewheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1/8 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 small apples, peeled and chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar

Method:

Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Grease and flour a small bundt pan generously.

In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.  Add the oil, milk, eggs and vanilla. Mix well without lumps. Mix the apples, cinnamon and sugar in another bowl.

Pour half the batter. Spread half the apple mixture.  Pour the remaining batter and top with the remaining apple mixture.

Bake for 60 minutes till done. Cool in pan. Slice and serve warm!

Really soft... melt in the mouth...

Linking this post to Simply Food's "Let's Cook with Apples" event...




Labels: , , , ,