Be My Guest ~ Apple Strusel Cake


I am a person of words. Though I am not an eloquent writer to say the least, I love people who are blessed with their vocabulary. There are people who can write in literature - make a simple matter read and sound like a story. There are people who may be talking simple, but their selection of words are so profound that they have an impact on you in some way. I have met both kinds of people and cherish them when I do...

Today, with me, I have a young blessed writer, or blogger, as we call in our terms! I came through her blog when she guest posted for Ambreen some time back. From then on, I have been hooked on to her blog. It surprises me that she is in her late teens, yet her talent gets me totally floured. Her picutres, just like her writing, speaks a thousand words. Let me introduce you to the face behind the blog, "La Tour De Force", Aiza. I would strongly recommend all of you to go by her blog and check this talent powerhouse for yourself, to feel what I am writing about her. I am just marking you an example with this Chocochip Banana Bread - yeah I know that looks mouthwatering but I wanted you all to read the story! Hehe... Maybe because I relate to her blog posts, can be the reason why I just pushed myself to ask her for a guest post. I am really happy to have her on my little space.

I guess I do not spoil the fun too much and just hand over today's session to my guest for the day... Over to you Aiza...




Salaam/Hello everyone! I’m Aiza (pronounced kind of like I-za). I am a self-indulging, pasta lover from the rundown country of Pakistan. Yes you’ve heard a lot about it in the news.  I have been blogging for about 2+ years, juggling writing, photography, baking, and my studies and on occasion freaking out about the fact that I have yet to do so much in life. Hence if you consider my humble abode worth a bother or two, I blog over at www.latourdeforce.com.


I’m really grateful to the writer, recipe tester and photographer of this amazing blog for giving me this opportunity to speak at her platform. She’s a sweetheart isn’t she? Especially her comments at my posts always add a bit of sparkle to my day. Well people, today I bring for you an Apple Streusel Cake that is totally adapted from Cake Days by The Hummingbird Bakery.  It is a dessert recipe perfect for fall, with different textures merging into each other, the delicate sponge, the caramelized goodness of apples, and lastly my favorite, the crunchy streusel topping.  Give it a try.

Apple Streusel Cake
Adapted from Cake Days.

Ingredients-

For the sponge

60g/3 Tbsp. Butter (unsalted, room temperature)
140g/1 Cup Flour (all purpose)
100g/ ½ Cup Sugar
1 Egg (large)
80ml/⅓ Cup Milk
3 Apples (preferably Granny Smith)
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
½ Tsp. Vanilla Essence
⅛ Tsp. Salt

For the streusel topping

⅔ Cup Flour
40g/2 Tbsp. Butter
70g/ 5 Tbsp. Light Brown Sugar
½ Tsp. Cinnamon


Instructions-

1.      Preheat the oven to 170℃ (325℉). Grease and flour a 20cm (8 inch) diameter cake tin or spring-form.

2.      To make the streusel topping, sift together the flour and cinnamon. Add the butter, rubbing it into the dry ingredients to form ‘bread crumbs’. Finally, add in the brown sugar.

3.      In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until fluffy. Whisk in the egg and the vanilla and stir until incorporated.

4.      Sift the dry ingredients together. Add half of the dry mixture to the wet batter, followed by half the milk. Repeat, stirring between, with the rest of the dry ingredients and the milk. Por batter into the cake tin.

5.      Slice the peeled and cored apples thinly. Arrange the slices on top of the batter in concentric circles. Or in any haphazard fashion evenly.  Sprinkle the streusel topping; making sure it forms an even layer.


6.      Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown and a tooth inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool. Enjoy warm with vanilla flavored ice cream or custard.


I know I have pestered you enough to be in here, but JazakAllah Khair for being such a sport, keeping aside all your busy-ness in life and getting back to me with this absolutely gorgeous looking cake - I wish I could really taste it considering how much I love apples in my bakes! 

Have a great weekend, all my beautiful readers... :)

And yes, any blogger keen on being a part of this series, why don't you just drop me an email? And we will get it going from there! Do ping me at sweettoothraf@gmail.com

Labels: , ,