Chicken Madras

My madness of collecting cookbook and cut-outs sometimes really gets on my nerves. But that still doesn't deter me from getting more or scanning my eyes on magazines for more recipes. Each time when the kids and I are walking and my eyes scan across the shelf at a book store, Rasha would retort sarcastically, "Ah, there... ummi is searching for new cookbooks!" Hehe... so now, in order to avoid that, I have started ordering books online, and guess what, that is even more addictive! As of now, I am trying hard not to order anymore till I sort out space in our new place.

Chicken is something that is so wholeheartedly welcomed at my place. That is clearly explained by the list of chicken dishes that I already have on the blog! Each time I look for trying out new varieties and variations, and definitely those that can be easily put together. This is one of them, from a cookbook that I purchased online a couple of months ago. All the ingredients are readily available and it is a nice mild curry that goes very well with rice or rotis. Off to the recipe...

Chicken Madras
Serves 4
Recipe adapted from "Indian Bible"


Ingredients:

1 kg chicken, cut into small pcs
1 tbsp oil
2 large onions, sliced
1 sprig curry leaves
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 cup water*
Salt to taste
1 tbsp black pepper powder
2 chopped green chillies

Method:

Heat oil in a saucepan. Saute the onions and curry leaves till soft. Add the chicken and mix well.

Add all the ingredients from tomatoes (*no water for dry curry) to salt and mix well. Cook on medium-low flame on closed lid till the chicken is done. 

Finally add the pepper and green chillies. Switch off and serve warm with rotis, neychoru or jeera rice.

Labels: , , ,