Adraki Paneer ~ Ginger Paneer

Ever since we have shifted, I have got into this new habit. I don't know how good or how bad it is but I must say that it makes me feel that despite trying out so many recipes and posting them on the blog, I still feel I have a long way to go!!! Before my cookbooks were in a hide-out thanks to a lack of space, but now since HD has got a special bookshelf done, I have spread my collection into the top rack. Each night, I pull out a different book, sometimes repeating the book if I feel I haven't gone through it properly, and flip through the recipes. Some enthrall me, some make me feel that I should make them immediately, some I would like to ignore (read pickles!!! I am no fan of pickles, my recipe index clearly shows so!!! Hehe...). It makes me feel that I have much to learn, much to cook, much to try... At the same time, I know I keep cooking, keep trying new recipes and keep retrying if I don't get it right. Since I am not doing much cooking these days, I do this to keep my interest burning... :)

My folks at home except my B are not fond of paneer. So hardly they find its way to the table. The only times I was able to feed them without them knowing was when I made the Malai Kofta and the paneer soya cutlets. When the paneer kathi rolls were made, Rasha was hell bend at pulling out the paneer from the rolls but a stare from me, and the poor thing was off to eating it. :) Sometimes, you have to roll your eyes an extra bit to get the kids to eat. I always feel it easier to feed the adults than the kids - seriously, today's kids are over choosy! Coming back to paneer, this recipe was chanced through while browsing my cut-out scrap book. The name of the recipe was "Paneer FM" since it was made by an RJ from a local radio station, but seriously I hated the name. Then I sat scratching my head as to what to call it. The paneer had an overpowering ginger taste and then the name hit me. I sat searching through the net to see if there was a dish as such and there was, with some variation from the below recipe. Those who love ginger, this is one dish to try. B and I enjoyed it with some chapathis, HD and the kids had just the masala without touching the paneer... Grrr....

Adraki Paneer ~ Ginger Paneer
Serves 4


Ingredients:

1 tbsp oil
1 small onion, minced
1 pack (135 gm) tomato paste
1 heaped tsp ginger paste
2 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 cup frozen green peas
1/4 cup of water
200 gm paneer cubes
Salt to taste

Method:

Soak the paneer cubes in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside. Thaw the green peas well.

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the onion along with salt and saute till wilted. Add the tomato paste, ginger paste and green chillies and cook till oil floats on the top. Ensure to stir occasionally to avoid sticking to the pan. Now add in the masala powders and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the thawed peas along with the water and cook till almost done. Finally add the paneer and cook till the mixture totally dries up. Adjust the salt.

Serve warm with rotis!

Notes:

You may garnish with chopped coriander leaves, which I didn't do as I didn't have any!

Labels: , , ,