Chakkakuru Ularthiyathu ~ Jackfruit Seeds Stir Fry (Dry)

It has been a really hectic weekend... Lots of work at home trying to get it look like proper but still it's just not getting done... On top of that the little one Azza had fever and that kept all of us on our toes... Sickness is in the air, thanks to the fluctuating weather. Instances of diarhea, vomitting, conjunctivitis and what not are being heard of! So it was an off from work yesterday. The only friend I have in this new locality, who also takes care of the kids also had her family affected with loose motions and vomitting, so much that her boy had to get admitted and be on drips for two days. The weather may be awesome giving some really fantastic sights but the side effects are not something that everybody likes!

Off to today's recipe, my "chakkakuru" madness is well documented on the blog. I have already posted another recipe of Chakkakuru Ularthiyathu, but that has some masala in it. This was made with the little batch I got from home in August. I went at the time when jackfruits were at its end so mattamma (umma's mom) could only get me very little good ones, the ones that weren't sprouted yet!!! I wanted to make a curry of it but then this recipe attracted my attention that I had to make it. Since nobody at home likes it, I had it all for myself... Hehe... I know I am very late in posting this when it is out of season, but late than never! I wanted to post it as soon as it was done but alas, it sank in my drafts only to be discovered now!!!

Chakkakuru Ulathiryathu ~ Jackfruit Seeds Stir Fry
Serves 3
Recipe adapted from "The Suriani Kitchen"


Ingredients:

1 cup jackfruit seeds, cleaned and cut
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
1/4 tsp turmeric powder 
1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
Salt to taste
1 tsp coconut oil
1/4 cup sliced shallots
1/2 tsp garlic paste
3-4 curry leaves

Method:

Cook the seeds along with ingredients till salt and little water in pressure cooker till done, around 5 whistles. Allow the pressure to go by itself. Open the lid and cook on high flame till the water is all dried up.

In a fry pan, heat the oil. Fry the shallots till browned. Add the garlic and curry leaves and cook for a couple of minutes. Add in the cooked jackfruit seeds, mix well. Cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes. 

Switch off and serve warm with rice and curry!!!


Labels: , ,