Chicken Tikka Masala

Today, I don't wish to blabber much. Instead, I wish to go straight to the recipe...

Why? Because I would rate this as one of the best chicken masalas I have tried off late. I had once mentioned in my Butter Chicken post that just like I have seen so many versions of butter chicken, similarly I have so many versions of Chicken Tikka Masala in my cut-outs and recipe books. They all have similar ingredients, but maybe one or two extra and with some variation. This one is the first I tried and I must say that it was just mind-blowing - so much like restaurant made! OK, I am not blowing my own trumpet but the day I made this, I was on Whassup with my best friend, who stays in Oman (yep, the one I went to meet after 15 years with these cookies! :) ) and upon seeing the picture, she insisted on knowing the recipe. I gave it to her and she tried it the next day. Hers being a bigger family, it was wiped off within no time. The same happened in my household as well. I saved up some for office next day because I knew I wouldn't have any to take with me.

Do try it at least once -first of all it's damn easy, do you see that you don't have to cry cutting onions? That itself would be a big motivator to try this. And take it as a treat or make it on your cheat day. The butter scared me... but who cares??? Hehe...

Chicken Tikka Masala
Serves 4


Ingredients:

1 kg chicken thighs, skin removed, cleaned and drained
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
350 gm tomato paste (refer notes)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
25 gm butter
1 tbsp kasuri methi
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
Coriander leaves to garnish

Method:

Heat oil in a saucepan. Fry the ginger and garlic paste till the raw smell is gone. Add the tomato paste and saute on meduim-low flame till oil starts floating on the top. Add in the powders and cook for a couple of minutes.

Now add the chicken, coat with the masala. Add the sugar and salt and mix. Close the lid and allow the chicken to cook. Midway through, add the butter.

Once the chicken is done, sprinkle in the kasoori methi and garam masala and cook for a couple of minutes. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.


Notes:

1. Normally, chicken tikka uses boneless chicken. Use if available.
2. For tomato paste, I pureed two tomatoes, that weighed approximately 215 gm without adding any water, and also used a 135 gm packed of tomato paste to give a rich color.
3. The recipe I used had a proportion of 75:25 of chicken and mushrooms. You can try that proportion if interested. Add the mushrooms when the chicken is 3/4 done.
4. Add water if the masala is sticking to the pan. I didn't add any, as the stock from the chicken was more than enough. In case you need more curry, then add some water, but not too much.
5. I only used coriander for garnishing. You can drizzle some cream and sprinkle some ginger julienne as well.


Labels: , ,