Green Chicken Masla

Some inspiration, for me and for you... :)


In my pantry, green mint and coriander leaves just go into the trash after being used for a biriyani. My D is not really fond of these green shots. He hates them in biriyanis or in anything, and therefore when he was there, I used to avoid it or add it in minimum. But sometimes I feel, "What is a biriyani without them?" and I would add them lavishly, only to see him spent the first five minutes in taking out all of them from his plate before proceeding to eat it. Once they settled down back home, I try to find ways to finish them off. One of them was this green chicken masala. I had once tried to make this when my parents were there but umma said a big no. But now I feel she should have tried it, because it shows no signs of the presence of coriander or green mint!!! The beautiful green hue and the subtle taste is what makes this chicken curry a must try, at least once... Off to the way I make it...

Green Chicken Masala
Serves 4



Ingredients:

900 gm chicken, cut, cleaned and drained

For grinding:
1 small bunch coriander leaves
1/2 bunch mint leaves
2 onions, chopped
3 green chillies
1 inch pc ginger
3 cloves garlic

For remaining:
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup water
1 cup thin coconut milk
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste

Method:

Heat oil in a saucepan. Splutter the cumin seeds and fry the curry leaves. Add the chicken and turmeric and cook on high flame for 5 minutes, stirring constantly till the juice ooze out. Add the ground masala and the water and cook on low flame for another 10 minutes. Add the thin coconut milk and cook till the chicken is completely done. Sprinkle the garam masala powder, simmer for a couple of minutes, add salt and switch off.

Serve warm with parathas or rice!


Labels: , ,