Kuttanadan Egg Roast

A good piece of advice I found sometime back, sharing it with all of you over here... :)


Eggs are something that I cook and are always accepted with open hands at home. The person who used to hate eggs, Rasha has now converted into an "I-am-OK-with-it" type, which is such a relief! The recipe I am sharing with you is courtesy of big chef Naushad, who is a very well known name among Keralites. He shares a hell lot of easy recipes and makes cooking look like a child's play. This recipe is adapted from a YouTube video I had seen. Though the roast did not turn as red as I would have loved it to be as I reduced the red chilli drastically to cater to my kids' tastebuds, the end result was really delicious. After all, it is loads of shallots that you are sauteing so it should taste good, right? I have used chicken eggs here, but if you find yourself with some duck eggs, then use it for a more authentic version! I have already shared a Kuttanadan Chicken Roast earlier, with all my memories attached to that beautiful waterfront. Off to the recipe...

Kuttanadan Egg Roast
Serves 2


Ingredients:

4 eggs, boiled and shelled
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 sprig curry leaves
1 cup shallots, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp red chilli powder
1 tomato, finely chopped
Salt to taste

Method:

Heat coconut oil in a saucepan. Add the ginger, garlic and curry leaves and saute till raw smell is gone. Add the shallots and saute till soft. Make a paste of turmeric and red chilli powders using a little water and add it to the masala. Cook till the raw smell is gone. Sprinkle in a little water and cook till the onions are totally done. Add the split eggs, stir for the masala to coat. Add the chopped tomato and cook on simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust the salt. Switch off and serve warm with dosas, rotis or even bread!

Labels: , ,