Moist Banana Cake

Normally, my blog is incomplete without some insights on the weather! How would I not mention about it, when I am totally in love with it! Waking up in the morning is easier only because of Fajr prayers, otherwise I would have loved to snoozed myself for at least another 30 minutes. Mornings are getting cozier and colder, Azza now wants me to take her out totally covered as she feels her legs are getting cold. The afternoons are hot, but not without a nice breeze. Evenings are the best, since the nights are getting longer. This weekend, we had some mild showers. On Friday, it drizzled just for 10 minutes while on Saturday, we got some awesome rains after sunset. I was out with the kids buying stuff for the house and enjoyed the drive in the showers. Talking about the shopping, HD has given me an ultimatum to stop purchasing anymore. I keep saying that I am not buying anything more than what is required, and I am making it a point to use all the stuff at home but still, it is not good enough to convince him! Hehe... Especially when it comes to buying stuff for the kitchen... hmm...

Today I am sharing with you a nice moist banana cake, one of the best that I have baked. I have baked this a couple of times with all purpose flour. This time for the blog, I made it with a mix of all purpose and wholewheat flour and loved it even more! This is one of the best cakes to go with an awesome cup of tea for breakfast. Nicely spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and mildly sweet, you cannot stop with one piece, I guarantee you that...

Moist Banana Cake
Makes 1 large loaf
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

1 cup wholewheat flour (aatta)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large bananas, mashed
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a large loaf pan.

Sieve the dry ingredients and set aside. Beat eggs till frothy. Add the sugar and beat till the eggs become pale and thick. Pour in the oil and beat till combined. Finally add the vanilla essence and beat.

Add the dry ingredients and fold using a spatula. Add in the mashed banana, cinnamon and nutmeg powders and give it a final mix. Pour into the pan and tap to flatten the top.

Bake for 50 to 70 minutes (took me 65 minutes) till a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire rack and cool completely. Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee... or just as it is!

Notes:

1. You can make the cake with only all-purpose flour.
2. You can spice it up with cinnnamon alone, as in the original recipe and as I had done the first time. But nutmeg gave it a very nice, mild flavor, so I would recommend to add it.
3. Add some walnuts, if in a mood for a crunch!

Labels: , , , ,