Chinese Sweet Corn Soup

I love soups. Any time we go out for dining, I make sure I order a soup. However, since I don't have a soup-inclined bunch at home, I hardly make them. I can't say "hardly", I just don't make them. That explains why there are just a couple of soups on the blog, the Lebanese Lentil Soup and Curried Carrot Soup. One problem I faced with soup is that you cannot really limit the quantity that you make. There is an option of making more and freezing them, so that you can thaw and reheat it in the future, however HD is really averse of the idea. He is a person who wont eat food made in the morning at night, so I can't expect him to have a month old food! This factor always makes it a barrier for me to go ahead.

It has been my wish to recreate the simple restaurant style sweet corn soup at home. There are so many recipes on the net but this one that I found was the real Chinese one, which tasted so much like what gets served at Chinese joints here. I was mighty pleased I tried it and there was nothing left, it was all finished. The kids were especially fascinated about the egg garlands, which is in fact very easy to replicate. After this, I have made it a couple of time, as there is corn in stock all the time. Off to the way I made it...

Chinese Sweet Corn Soup
Serves 3-4
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

285 gm sweet corn kernels tin (drained weight)
3 cups water
2 chicken stock cubes
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp corn flour, diluted in 2 tbsp water
1 egg, beaten

Method:

Pulse the sweet corn kernels in the blender a few times. Do not grind it completely, do leave some corn kernels for bites.

Heat water in a pan. Add the blended kernels, chicken stock cubes and sugar and mix well. Cook for around 10 minutes on high heat. Add in the corn flour slurry and cook till thickened. Finally, pour in the egg from top and continuously stir. You will start seeing whitish floats of the egg. Cook for another minute. Switch off and serve warm with vinegar, chilli sauce and soya sauce!

Notes:

1. Replace chicken stock cube with vegetable stock cube for a total vegetarian option.
2. I did not use salt at all, as the stock cubes have sufficient salt. Add the salt if you feel it is less.
3. Adjust the sugar as per your sweetness.
4. You can add more cornflour if you want the soup thicker. The proportion is 1 portion of cornflour for 2 portion of water.

Labels: ,