Sambaaram ~ Spiced Buttermilk Drink

What a depressing couple of days it has been! The Sydney Seige and the Peshawar school shooting has touched and disturbed a lot of minds world wide. It is a shame to even compare the people behind these barbaric acts to animals! Animals have much more thoughts and emotions than a hard-hearted human being will be having. This is a test of our times... After all, Allah has reminded us in several places in the Holy Qura'an that He will continue to test us in various forms, to differentiate the good from the bad...

“And We shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods, lives and the fruits (of your toil) but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere. Those who, when misfortune strikes them, say: ‘Indeed we belong to Allah and to Him is our return. Those are the ones upon whom are blessings and mercy from their Lord and it is those who are rightly guided.” 
(Sûrah al-Baqarah:155-157)

All we can do is to pray for the humanity who suffered. May Allah give them the patience to bear the loss and give them His glad tidings... Aameen...

Off to today's recipe... this is basically a summer thirst quencher that I am posting at the wrong time, as far as the weather is concerned here! But still, I make this at times for a biriyani lunch like a washdown, basically! Sambaaram is a spiced buttermilk drink that is famous in many parts of Kerala. Not much known towards the side I come from though, I have had this from restaurants whenever we have been on road trips back home. Even though I wouldn't say I love yogurt, anytime I would land up with sanbaaram, I would wipe it clean. It basically calms down all the heat that you feel on a hot day. There are two ways of having it like I mentioned in the notes, either you gulp it down and chew the bites, or blitz and have it like a juice. I am posting the first version here and this is what I like to have. When I decide to blitz it, I will post that one as well... hehe...

Sambaaram ~ Spiced Buttermilk Drink
Serves 3


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup yogurt
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp ginger paste
6-8 curry leaves
2 tbsp coriander leaves
1 green chilly
Salt to taste

Method:

Finely chop the leaves and chilly. Combine all the ingredients and whisk till smooth. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

Notes:

You can even blitz all the ingredients and strain them to serve. I prefer having the bites while everybody else prefers the juiced version!


Labels: , , , ,