Thakkali Rasam/ Tomato Rasam

Being a working mother with two school going children is indeed hectic. Alhamdulillah, I am fortunate that I have two of them who love to go to school and who are not very fussy (I am choosing the phrase "very fussy" because at times, they are!) with their lunch boxes. Both of them are happy if I put bread sandwich for them everyday, as if I like to give it to them. A little change from that and I will receive back some leftovers. "Why didn't you finish your box? Didn't you like the food?" "Ummi, the food is good, but... bread is better." Darn! So you see, they make my life easy by only demanding bread with anything in it. By this weekend, their schools will close for their two week winter break and I am waiting for it! A good thing is that they get to spend more time disturbing my parents, whose return date is nearing very soon. Another thing is that I can sleep 30 minutes extra. Sleep is a very big concern. Despite having children for almost 8 years, I so badly miss my 8 hours sleep. I do sleep for 6 hours somehow, which doctors say is fine, but still, I feel like a zombie. We get adjusted to a lot of things in life, right? But somehow, I don't seem to be getting adjusted to the lack of sleep at all...

Keeping my ramblings aside, time for something that is apt for the cold climate now! One glass of rasam just like that or as side for rice and fish fry is meal for me. I can never say "no". My favorite rasam, which is umma's tamarind rasam is already on the blog. Sharing with you one today, which is made with tomatoes. I am trying to learn different types of rasams and as and when they succeed, I am definitely going to make sure I post it... :)

Thakkali/ Tomato Rasam
Serves 4


Ingredients:

2 large tomatoes
1 tsp ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal
6 curry leaves
3 dry chillies
2 pods garlic, crushed
3 shallots, crushed
A pinch asafoetida (hing/ kaaya podi)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup water
1 tbsp black pepper powder
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnish

Method:

Boil the tomatoes as whole in water till soft. Drain the water. Grind the tomato into paste. Set aside. 

In a "chatti" (earthern pot), heat ghee. Splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Briefly fry the urad dal, along with the curry leaves and dry chillies. Now add the garlic and shallots and fry till softened. Add the asafoetida and turmeric and fry for a minute. Now add the ground tomato and water and cook on low flame till the mixture slightly thickens, around 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle in the pepper powder, adjust the salt. 

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm with rice, or have it as it is! 

Labels: , , , ,