Wholewheat Olive Oil Brownies

I may have a nasty sweet tooth but that doesn't mean that I am blind while having my sweet stuff. Yes, at times I do close my eyes and indulge in but most of the time, the guilt pangs are so high that I cannot ignore it. See, please don't think that I have a sweet tooth and I look like a stick, well, the Almighty has created me hale and hearty and I have successfully managed to keep myself that way! Ahem... well, having said that, whenever I crave for anything sweet, especially bakes, I always look at options to replace the all-purpose flour with wholewheat flour and Alhamdulillah, majority of my bakes have come out well.

I have already posted a wholewheat brownie before, so this is not my first attempt. However, while that used butter as the fat, this one uses olive oil which is considered to be much more healthier. I wouldn't call it the best brownie, but guilt free, it is! It calms down your brownie madness and calms down the guilt pangs as well... :) Two reasons why I would make this again and again...

Wholewheat Olive Oil Brownies
Makes 16
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

1/2 cup olive oil (I used extra virgin)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup wholewheat flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp espresso powder (optional but recommended!)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a brownie pan with parchment paper.

Whisk the olive oil and sugar till dissolved. Add in the vanilla extract and egg and whisk till done.

Combine all the dry ingredients from flour to salt in another bowl and whisk till well combined. Add this to the wet ingredients and mix till combined. Do not overmix.

Pour into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes till done. Cool completely in pan before slicing and serving!


Notes:

Baking for 20 minutes is actually enough. When I baked the extra 5 minutes, I got a biscuit like crust but nevertheless loved it!

Labels: , ,