Baingan Ka Bartha/ Brinjal Curry - Microwave Cooking

I had written some time back that I would share my microwave cooking experiences but after the initial post, I just forgot to share more. Sometimes, I have to move around my drafts and ensure that I cover everything without making it look repetitive. Once I got my cooking range, the microwave cooking saga met a natural end, however I am already thinking that I must cook at least once in a month in it to get a hang of it.

Baingan Ka Bartha is a mashed up brinjal curry, very famous in the northern part of India. It is surprising that I have cooked this on stove top many times but has not got featured on the blog till now but before the normal version, I am posting the microwave version! Sometimes, it is good to make exceptions, right? :) In fact, the reason why I never blogged about the normal cooked one was because I never got the taste I wanted - at least that charred taste should be out. The microwave version just tasted the same like my normally cooked one, so till I get it right, I will not post it. Secondly, I don't have a brinjal friendly crowd at home - ahem, they don't like most of the stuff apart from non-vegetarian dishes but since they have no other option than eat what I make, it gets finished!! Hehe... Let's have a look at how it can be made using the microwave...

Baingan Ka Bartha/ Brinjal Curry - Microwave Cooking
Serves 2
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

1 brinjal, long variety (around 300 gm)
1 tbsp oil
2 medium onions, minced
1 tsp ginger paste
2 chillies, chopped
2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1 medium tomato, chopped finely
2 tbsp tomato paste

Method:

Wash the brinjal, remove the top. Prick all over using a fork. Put the wet brinjal in a microwave bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Cut into two and scoop out the pulp. Mash well.

In the same bowl, add ingredients from oil to salt along with the brinjal pulp. Mix well and cook for 8 minutes, uncovered.

Add in the tomato and paste, mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Mix well. Serve warm with rotis!

Labels: , , ,