Chicken Coconut Milk Curry

There are times I oversleep in the morning... can't help it, at times the kids just refuse to sleep off and my alarm decides to ditch my over-sleepy mind. On one such morning, I woke up just in time for me to leave for office and had no other option than to not send my younger one to school. Since Rasha goes a bit late, she had to go to school. When I returned back from work, Rasha was whining as to how she always has to go to school and how Azza gets the benefit. The conversation which followed stumped me:

Azza: "Thaatha, do you know why I didn't go to school today?"
Rasha: (looking annoyed) "Yeah, because ummi didn't sent you!"
Azza: "No, because Atha's teacher is not feeling well..."
Me: (surprised) "How do you know that your teacher is not well?"
Azza: "Teacher was doing like this in the class yesterday..." (coughs)

OK... I loved her reasoning!!! Just couldn't stop laughing for quite some time thinking about it... :)

Sharing with you today, a chicken curry with very mild flavors and slathered with a lot of coconut milk. If you like the creaminess of coconut milk and subtle spice, then this one is for you. My curries are never spicy, or even if I make it spicy, I spice it up using black pepper. Somehow, we have grown up eating no-spice curries and I buy into that idea. This is one curry that I absolutely adore. It goes so well with plain rice or neychoru or even with chapathis. More than that, it is really easy to put together. Off to the way it is made...

Chicken Coconut Milk Curry
Serves 4


Ingredients:

1 kg chicken, cut into medium prices
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup shallots, chopped
2 onions, minced
3 green chillies, slit
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 cup thin coconut milk
1/2 cup thick coconut milk
Salt to taste
Curry leaves for garnish

Method:

Clean the chicken and keep aside to drain.

In a pressure cooker, heat coconut oil. Add the shallots, onions and green chillies and saute till soft. Add in the ginger and garlic pastes and cook till the raw smell is gone. Add the tomatoes and all the masala powders and cook till the tomato gets mashed up. Add the chicken and the thin coconut milk, give a nice mix. Add salt and cook with the lid on for three whistles. Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.

Open the lid and keep the flame on simmer. Add the thick coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes. Garnish with curry leaves and serve warm with rice or chapathis!



Labels: , , , , ,