Banana Peanut Butter Loaf

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a watch shop repairing a few of my watches - I am watch crazy, and I have 8 on my display with more hidden. As soon as I get bored of my watches, I make it a point to carry it back home and distribute to my cousins who think I have an awesome watch collection! Hehe... OK, back to what I was saying. The gentleman at the counter and I stuck up a casual chat. He happened to be from the place close to HD's. As we spoke, he hinted that he was trying to get somebody to take care of his shop and go back to home as his wife was not keeping well. I just shook my head and then he said, "Actually, she has shown an early symptom of cancer." As soon as he said that, I looked at his face, which was saddened at the thought of it. I don't know why he said that to me since we were total strangers, but the thought gave me a startle. Allah, are you telling me that You have not tested us with trials as grave as this one? I told him that I sincerely wish that Allah gives her relief at the soonest. I also prayed silently that He does not test us with trials that can rip us off in every way - physically, mentally and financially...There are so many people around us who are suffering in silence, in ways that we do not know... Don't we always think that our troubles are the worst? May Allah relieve the pain of all those who are going through it in their way...

Another banana bake after long time... I have slowed down on my banana bakes thanks for Rasha! Most of the time, I end up eating it all... This recipe was found in a weekend magazine and as soon as I saw it, I pinned it on my fridge door. I found a perfect opportunity to bake this when we had decided to go for a visit to the zoo along with HD's cousin and family. After a round inside the zoo, we settled down and dug into this cake. Even the banana averse Rasha had two slices! I think she ate it more because of her hunger pangs more than anything else! I must say that the combination of the peanut butter and banana along with the crunch of walnuts and the melted chocolate was just too good to resist!

Banana Peanut Butter Loaf
Makes one small loaf
Recipe adapted from Chef Silwena Rowe


Ingredients:

3/4 cup wholewheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a small loaf pan and set aside.

Whisk all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, beat the peanut butter and sugar for a couple of minutes till well mixed. Add the eggs and the mashed bananas and beat till well combined. Add in the dry ingredients and fold well till combined. Finally add the walnuts and chocolate chips and fold gently. Pour into the prepared pan and flatten the top.

Bakes for 60 to 70 minutes till a skewer comes out clean while tested in the center. After 45 minutes, ensure to take out the pan and cover on the top with aluminium foil so that the top does not burn.

Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife along the sides of the pan and slowly tip onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before cutting and enjoying.


Linking this to Bake Fest #42 @ Cooks Joy being hosted by Mayuri's Jikoni...




Labels: , , ,