Easy Pear Crisp

Some challenges give the flexibility of wanting to participate and that maybe the reason why I like to participate in the Shh... Cooking Secretly Challenge, another initiative of Priyaakka. Whenever I am in a mood, I participate and I have loved the interactions that comes with it with the other bloggers. To see the previous challenges I have participated, you can check out here!

This month, I was teamed with Lakshmi. This is the second time I am being teamed with her. The first one was when I made the masala paal. This time, she gave me a very interesting combination of pear and brown sugar. First of all, pear is not a fruit that I like. My mattamma loves those yellow hard pears. She would faithfully sit in the backyard corner, peeling of the skin and as she would keep them on the plate, we would keep sneaking a piece out. By the time, she is done, the plate would be empty. Grandmothers are blessed with abundance patience - I guess that's because by the time the kids are done and the grand kids come, they miss the childhood of their own bunch! I have a long time to experience this, but then I see it in my umma when she deals with my children and my sister's boy. It only enforces that belief! Seeing the plate empty, she would simply get up and walk to the storeroom and pick up some more pears and repeat the process. Whatever remains in the plate once we are done with our share, she would eat them. We would eat them not because we like the fruit, but because any fruit that is peeled and kept beautifully in front, just looks so tempting! Hehe... Putting my memories aside, I wanted to bake with pears and this is what I baked.. a very healthy dessert, which we enjoyed after our lunch and an easy way to use up this sturdy fruit! Thank you Lakshmi for this set of lovely ingredients...

Easy Pear Crisp
Serves 4
Recipe from here




Ingredients:

1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
25 gm butter, cold
3 pears, peeled and chopped
Juice from one lime


Method:

Preheat oven to 190 degrees.

Mix the lime juice into the pears. Put into a baking dish.

Combine the ingredients from oats to cinnamon powder in a bowl. Cut in the butter and mix till it looks like coarse crumbs. Spread evenly on top of the arranged pears.

Bakes for 20 minutes. Serve warm as is, or with some ice-cream or with some chocolate sauce, just like I did! :)



Labels: , , ,