Mix and Bake Chocolate Beetroot Cake

You never realise how versatile vegetables can be in baking till you use it. My first tryst with beetroot were in these eggless red velvet cupcakes and after that I had tried this particular cake while taking them for my cousins. That time, I ran out of cocoa powder so my cake looked more reddish than brownish. I left them with a trivia and they were not able to guess what went into that cake, till I told them that it had beetroot. Beetroot puree lends such a lovely moistness to this cake and enhances the flavor of the chocolate, giving it a nice deep color. Even the kids enjoyed it very much since there is no feeling of having a vegetable into your cake!

If you check out my posts, I have baked with vegetables before in the form of this ever favorite carrot cake as well as this zucchini-carrot bread as well. Off to the way this one was made...

Mix and Bake Chocolate Beetroot Cake
Makes a large loaf
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

175 gm beetroot, cooked and pureed
200 gm plain flour
100 gm cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
225 gm sugar
A pinch of salt
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
200 ml sunflower oil
100 gm chocolate chunks/ chips

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a large loaf pan and set aside.

Add all the ingredients, one after the other in a bowl except the chunks and mix with a whisk till well combined. Finally add the chunks and give a final mix. The batter will be glossy and thick. Pour into the prepared pan and tap to flatten the top.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, flip onto the cooling rack and cool completely before slicing and devouring!

Labels: , , , ,