Simple Chocolate Chip Scones

Time for the Home Baker's Challenge post for the month! After last month's savory muffins for which I baked these cheese sausage muffins, this time Priyaakka gave us some sweet and savory scones to try. What is a scone? A scone is basically a single serving bread or cake - or something in between that! That is the advantage of having a scone - you are neither eating a bread nor a cake, so you can treat it either way. Scones can be eaten as such with your cup of tea or with a slather of jam or cheese on top of them.

As usual, I decided to go for a sweet version, but made it really toned down as far as sweetness is concerned. Once I baked them, I didn't even wait for them to cool. I pulled out one and sunk my teeth into them - they were just melt-in-the-mouth! First of all they are so easy to put together, by the time oven gets preheated, your mix is ready and it hardly takes 15 minutes to bake. As usual, I made half the recipe and once I had a bite, I regretted making only half, but my inner voice told me, "Good you baked only this much! At least you won't end up eating a lot of it!" Hehe... You can have them just like that like a snack, along with your tea or slather some jam or cream and enjoy them!

Simple Chocolate Chip Scones
Makes 6 pcs
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
50 gm butter, cold
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1 large egg
2 tbsp yogurt

Method:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Keep a cake pan ready.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and whisk. Grate the cold butter onto the dry ingredients. Work the butter into the flour till it looks like a coarse meal. Stir in the chocolate chips.

In a bowl, whisk egg and yogurt till smooth. Pour into the dry mix and starting pulling out the dough together till it is completely moist and you have a sticky dough.


On a floured surface, pat into a round shape around 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 6 wedges using a sharp knife. Arrange on the pan leaving 1/2 inch space between each wedge.

Bake for 12-15 minutes till the top becomes golden brown. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Serve warm with a cup of tea!

Notes:

1. I substituted yogurt for sour cream. If you have sour cream, then use it.
2. I have halved the recipe, and accordingly adjusted on the yogurt so that I could accommodate the egg in. My dough had a good consistency.

If it was not for the butter, this would have been something I would love to often make at home - it is that easy! And not to talk about the deliciousness... One more picture could do, right? I sunk my big sweet teeth into this one! Hehe...


Labels: , , , ,