Strawberry Walnut Overnight Oats

For some food ideas, you have to thank our western compatriots. One of them is the introduction of kale for sure! Just like I enjoyed this Chocolate Kale Smoothie, I have juiced it another ways which I will share when the time comes... :)

Another one is overnight oats. The first time I saw the idea was on Jehanne's blog and I was intrigued. No cooking? Only mixing? Wow! But would it taste raw? How would it be? I bombarded Jehanne with lots of questions during that time. As usual, she was patient with me and assured me that I would be hooked onto it once I try. My issue was getting rolled oats. Quick cooking oats is generally found all over the place and since she had suggested not to use that version for this, I kept searching wherever I went. Finally after long, I found it at Spinneys. Now, I have started seeing it in other big outlets, but you won't find more than 3 boxes! It is double the price of quick cooking oats, so that explains the little quantity displayed! Once I bought my box, it was in my pantry for almost four months without touching! I don't know why I did that but I completely forgot about it. Finally, one day when it caught my attention, it scared me by "telling" me that it hardly had another three months left to finish off! I finished off 3/4 of the pack making some granola, which turned out fantastic! Will share that as well soon - but I have loads to finish off before that! :( Oatmeal cooked in rolled oats, I found was of a much better flavor and texture and I absolutely loved it. But as of now, I am head over heals over this fantastic idea of overnight oats! First of all, it is apt for "on-the-run" people like me - just mix up everything in a bowl or jar the previous night, dump into the fridge, next day morning, bring it out and dig in! And it doesn't even feel raw! This is a basic version - you can play with the flavors as much as you want!

Strawberry Walnut Overnight Oats
Serves 1


Ingredients:

1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup low fat yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp honey
4 strawberries, quartered
5-6 walnuts, roughly chopped

Method:

Combine the oats, yogurt, milk and honey into a bowl till well mixed. Refrigerate overnight to set.

Next day morning, take out for breakfast. Add the strawberry and walnuts and mix well. Enjoy a hearty and filling meal!

Notes:

Increase on the wet ingredients or reduce the oats for a more flowy version. I like my oats thick, so that I feel filled! :)


Something I found about the different oats types, just for a read! :)

Labels: , ,