Wholewheat Flax and Apple Muffins

Blogging has actually made me a bit adventurous, I must say. Sometimes, it does happen that I end up eating all that I make if nobody bothers to touch it! But there are certain ingredients that I know would now be a part of my cooking - one is definitely rolled oats, thanks to my recent craze on overnight oats, and the other one is milled flax seeds.

I don't want to write down the benefits of flax seeds here since I am no nutritionist, but I would say that knowing how good it is in Omega 3 and fiber, I try to find ways to use it up in my cooking. I use it now into my smoothies - it gives a nice body to the smoothie and makes it so thick that you feel so full. My blogger friends tell me that they add a teaspoon into all their curries - the advantage that this product has no taste of its own makes it easier to camouflage it. If you remember, I used flax to replace egg in these chocolaty brownies I baked recently. Actually speaking, this was the first bake I did with flax but somehow comes on the blog later! The recipe was on the back on the pack of milled flaxseeds that I had bought. I baked them for breakfast and I must say, they are pretty healthy! Though these muffins fell in the case mentioned above - I ate up half the batch over three days, one each by HD and B and one was split between the kids, I would really recommend them for people who love to indulge in healthy bakes! I really loved them and would definitely repeat them...

Wholewheat Flax and Apple Muffins
Makes 12


Ingredients:

1 cup wholewheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup milled flax seeds
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup finely chopped apples
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Line muffin pan or grease it well and set aside. I used muffin cups.

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Blend the egg, oil and milk together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold till the mixture gets wet. Fold in the apples and walnuts. The batter will be thick. Fill upto 2/3rd of each muffin cup. Bake for 18-20 minutes till a skewer comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cool - either way, it tastes awesome!

Notes:

I baked the muffins in large muffin cups, so I got 8. I baked them for 23 minutes till done.


If you are looking for an eggless version, my friend Sangeetha has it already on her blog. You can refer to the post here! :) In fact, it was her assurance that it tasted good, that I went ahead and baked them...


Labels: , , , , ,