Njandu (Crab) Roast

The third and last for the fishy tales... I have never tried eating crab, to say the truth! Since my experience with prawns isn't encouraging, I have no courage to eat them. Looking at them makes me feel scared as well, thanks to their claws! Hehe... HD loves them and whenever we go out to eat seafood, he would order some and gladly bite the claws and chew on them. I would just put my head down and prefer not to see it!

When I was home, D bought some fresh crabs when he had gone to the market. Umma is not fond of it but my sister was all excited to eat them. Our help aunty cleaned up the crabs and in the process, I saw her throwing away two of them. I was intrigued, why is she doing that? Before I could ask, she read my question mark expression and told me, "You know dear, when crabs get sick, they lose their flesh. Those two I had thrown away were not well." Really? That was totally new information for me. How many of you knew this? Anyway, immediately umma made this roast and as usual, I pulled out my camera and clicked it before it was served unto the table. :) While D was having his share, he asked umma, "You don't eat crab, then who cooked this?" She gave a very strong look and said, "Me, who else?" Hehe... Off to the recipe...

Njandu (Crab) Roast
Serves 4
Recipe courtesy: Umma



Ingredients:

8 crabs, cleaned and chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil 
2 large onions, minced
3 green chillies, slit
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tomatoes, minced
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
Salt to taste
3/4 tsp garam masala powder

Method:

Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the onions and chillies and saute till soft. Add in the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone. Add the tomatoes along with the masala powders and salt and cook till the tomato is mashed. Add in the washed crabs and close the lid of the cooker. Cook for 1 whistle on high. Then place the flame on simmer and cook for another 10 minutes Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.

Open the lid and switch on the flame. Adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle in the garam masala and mix well. Serve warm with chapathis or as side for rice.

PST: Initially when I published the post, I had referred to Njandu as "Lobster". It isn't lobster, it is crab. Thank you to the bunch who commented with the difference. I just got confused... the whole post is updated, removing the lobster and inserting the crab instead! :)

Labels: , , ,